NEAT Conference on East Asian Financial Cooperation was successfully held in Shanghai, China on 7-8 April 2007. This Conference was jointly hosted by China Foreign Affairs University and Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences. Scholars and experts from 9 ASEAN member countries (Brunei was absent) and China, Japan and the Republic of Korea participated in the Conference. There were 5 panels:
- Assessment of the latest development of East Asian financial cooperation.
- Post-Chiang Mai Mechanism: objectives and roadmap.
- East Asian bond market: domestic building and regional cooperation.
- Institution building and risk prevention in regional financial cooperation.
- Other aspects of financial cooperation.
The opening session was chaired by Amb. Wu Jianmin, NEAT Co-interim Coordinator and President of the China Foreign Affairs University. Wang Ronghua, Vice Chairman of CPPCC Shanghai Committee and President of the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, Feng Guoqin, Shanghai Executive Vice Mayor, and Li Yong, Chinese Vice Financial Minister, delivered opening remarks. Zhu Min, Vice President of the Bank of China, Makoto Utsumi, President and CEO of Japan Credit Rating Agency Ltd, and Jusuf Wanandi, Vice Chairman of the Centre for Strategic and International Studies of Indonesia, and Amb. Wu Jianmin gave keynote speeches.
Major Chinese and Foreign media including Xinhua News Agency, China Central Television, Shanghai Television, China Radio International, Phoenix TV and NHK reported on this Conference.